Thursday, June 10, 2010

Are we really so efficient?

Two Germans at the base of the memorial that commemorates another German, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha

Luckily enough, Germans have a very good image here in England. In my classmates' opinion Germans are very efficient. I even heard that we're supposed to be relaxed and easy-going. Berlin is often mentioned as the symbol of this supposed to be laid-back, creative lifestyle in today's Germany.

I don't know if that all is true. My impression is that if you want to proof something to be right you can always find the details to confirm it. I'm just glad we don't have to struggle with loads of negative prejudices.

Of course I come across many things I remember to be very different from the way we handle them back home. Recycling is one thing we Germans are much better in. Theatre is another thing. I can't stand people taking coats and bags, drinks and food into the theatre in England. Some even forget to switch off their mobile phones or send emails during the performance. Selling and buying houses and flats seem to be a hobby for British people. In every street there is at least one sign saying To Sell. Thank God all these aspects are quite minor and the things in England I favour prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment