Saturday, June 19, 2010

When the moon shines on Big Ben

Some days ago I made a long detour after having attended the recording of the BBC Radio 7 show Newsjack. My way led me across Westminster Bridge and along the Thames when the sun set and Big Ben was lit up.

Many tourists waited for the right moment to take a picture of the Houses of Parliament with Big Ben and the bridge as it's such a beautiful sight.

Strictly speaking, "Big Ben" refers only to the bell that strikes the hour with its famous melody. My guidebook - again - says it takes its name from either the former Commissioner of Works, Benjamin Hall, or a popular heavyweight boxer of the time, Benjamin Caunt.

At the school the final spurt has begun. We have to do even more assignments and everywhere I go I take my pocketbook with me. Today I went to the Magnificent Maps exhibition at the British Library which was much more interesting than I'd thought.

I then went to the 180th anniversary of Covent Garden and the open-air event West End Live on Leichester Square. Okay, that was for fun only.

On my way home I did some research on a leisure ground in Maida Vale. After dinner I will write these two articles (one review and one article on a sports related topic).

There are definitely better things to do on a Saturday night in London. Longing for the time after the exams.

No comments:

Post a Comment