Wednesday, June 23, 2010

England's got the World Cup fever

The least interesting thing for me is sports, especially football. Meanwhile England is preparing for the "must-win game with Slovenia" (Guardian) today.

I can't see much difference between life in England and in Germany during such an event as the WorldCup. Fans rather meet in pubs than on public viewing places. Some pubs even offer a free pint for every match England wins.

Betting is another hobby of the British we don't know much about in Germany. Bet365 Bookmakers, for example, have little doubt about the outcome of today's match and quote an England win at 4/9 odds on with the Slovenians only at 13/2. To be honest, I don't really know what that means as I'm German and not familiar with betting at all.

And shops use the event as motive for their window decoration and special offers (see pictures of two shop windows in St James's). There has even been a bride's dress spotted with a huge red cross on it.

However, every nation wants to see its team winning. I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed for both England and Germany later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment