Friday, September 17, 2010

Where the Queen spends her weekends

Windsor Castle, the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world, was my destination today.

I started with a guided tour through the Great Kitchen, the oldest, substantially unchanged and still used kitchen in the country and most probably in the world.

Windsor is just an hour on the train away and well worth the 16 Pounds entrance fee (plus 4,50 for the Great Kitchen tour).

I joined the Evening Song in St Georges's Chapel, where ten monarchs are buried, including Henry VIII (with his favourite wife Jane who gave birth to his only son) and (beheaded but head and body were then joined again) Charles I. The chapel boasts a most beautiful Gothic nave and choir and is headquarter of the Order of the Garter. I actually sat on the choir chair of the ex-prime minister John Mayor.

Later I crossed the Thames to stroll through the small village of Eton. It was too late to visit Eton College but it was quite surprising to see the masses of pupils heading for an evening event in their school uniforms, dressed up far more exquisite than most men on their wedding day.

No comments:

Post a Comment