Thursday, July 29, 2010

From the West to the East

Arts and Crafts Debenham House in Kensington

My days in the West of London are numbered. On Sunday, I'm moving again. Alex is going to sell the flat and moves to a new flat in the South of London.

I'm going to stay in a flat that's owned by our friend Barbara's friend Tony. I don't know him yet neither have I seen the flat, but he seems to be very nice, the flat is supposed to be nice as well. It's close to Victoria Park and will be a great location to discover the city center and the East End. I'll post some pictures next week.

As long as I'm still here, I explore the posh West. Yesterday I passed some beautiful houses in Kensington and walked across Brompton Cemetery. This, f.e., is the Arts and Crafts Debenham House built in 1906 for the department-store Debenham family. Sadly enough the house is closed to the public. As is Tower House, a medieval folly designed by William Burges.

Edward Burne-Jones designed this wonderful grave of Frederick Leyland, president of the National Telephone Company, on Brompton Cemetery.
Another family obviously didn't invest much in the grave itself but rather in visits to their deceased family members.

Another great sight in Kensington is the gorgeous Art Deco Michelin House. French artists designed it in 1911 and equipped it with lots of decorative tyres and motoring murals.

No comments:

Post a Comment