Tuesday, July 27, 2010

One of the city's poorest boroughs

Made a great bargain today. I'm on a mailing list called Groupon and get an offer every day to visit a theatre show for little money, get a complete body hair removal for only 35 percent of its regular price or eat out for 20 Pounds instead of 60, just to name a few.

For tonights event I've bought my very first Groupon voucher and enjoyed the evening very much. For 17 Pounds I received a ticket for a phantastic show from The Loons Circus Theatre Company from New Zealand called The Butler, a two-course meal and two cocktails, one each before the show and in the break. It was one of the best ever shows I've ever seen - quite like Cirque du Soleil, but even better, wittier and extremely naughty.

Explored Islington today. According to my guidebook it's one of the poorest boroughs in London although rich people are constantly moving into the area.

Just read in the newspaper today that the new poor areas are the ones in a belt around the city as rents are far too high for people with badly paid jobs or the unemployed.

Churches are quite creative to support the disadvantaged among their members. I like the ad I saw at St Mary that is pictured above, especially the machine dipping men into a huge pint of beer before they're going to meet their partner.

But I wonder if any knifes are thrown into the knife bin pictured below or if there is any demand for the AllINeed bags another church in Islington offers for free.
There's a very serious background to this knife bin. Loosing your life in a knife attack is quite likely in London when you're involved in so-called turf wars.

No comments:

Post a Comment