Friday, July 2, 2010

"Shakespeare would have loved this"

Despite all the course work I couldn't resist to see Romeo and Juliet performed in the churchyard of St Paul's Church in Covent Garden yesterday. "Shakespeare would have loved this," was a reviewer's comment.

"It was the nightingale, and not the lark"

It was a great performance by Iris Theatre during which the audience followed the actors to different places in the churchyard, to the famous balcony scene below a window of one of the neighbouring houses and towards the church steps.

Conciliation of the Capulet and Montague patriarchs

The performance ended with Romeo, Juliet and Paris lying dead infront of the church's altar, surrounded by candles and a big illuminated cross.

In contrast, Canada Day in London was a disappointment for me. When I arrived at Trafalgar Square, DJ Richie Hawtin was on stage. I didn't know him and I don't value the work of DJ's enough, I guess.

When I looked him up on the internet I learned to my surprise that the English-Canadian now lives in Berlin.

After having lived in New York, he's quoted on Wikipedia: I’d always wanted to move to Europe. I needed somewhere that was inspiring and where there were like-minded musicians and artists, somewhere you could still experiment with music and with life. Berlin is so liberal in so many different ways; there’s an amazing club scene, there’s a great development software tech scene, there are so many resources here."
Richie Hawtin surrounded by Bison Burgers, Beer and Bombardier

For DJ's, Berlin is obviously even more attractive than London or New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment