Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day- and nightlife in Soho


Soho is named after the cry that resounded through the area when it was a popular place for rabbit hunting. In the seventeenth century the aristrocrats came - and made room for immigrants at the end of the eighteenth century. By the way, Soho's most famous Jewish immigrant was Karl Marx.

Today, Soho still is famous for its nightlife. I started to explore the district at noon and didn't even see everything that is mentioned in my guide book. It began with the handprints of Sir Sean Connery. And it ended with a visit of a great Westend show.

Having asked for the cheapest ticket available as I hadn't equipped myself with enough cash for the day, I received a ticket in the very first row. "It's quite loud on every seat," the man at the theater box office told me. The show was great and the view onto the stage superb (had to close my ears at some points though). Eight performers use everything from Zippo lighters, plastic bags, bin lids and even kitchen sinks to hammer out their rhythms. It was impressive to see how exact their timing was. They must have trained a long time for reaching this level.

No comments:

Post a Comment