Sunday, April 11, 2010

A little bit of Arabia in London


As a multi-cultural city, London also has a huge mosque. You can see its shiny copper dome and minaret from Regent's park. The Prince Regent must have loved it. However, my guide book says it seems half-hearted and curiously unspiritual. At todays Souk & Family Fun event I had the chance to proof if this was true - and it is. By the way, the mosques in Brunei we saw in December are much prettier.

The event was disappointing as well. Mostly goods Muslim families favour, like colourful clothes, juwellery, cosmetics, books etc. Even saw rumper suits with "Mini Muslim" printed on them. Much more to my taste were the three samosas I got myself for lunch.

A long walk all around Regent's park and its neighbouring streets, terraces and crescents of elegant town houses and villas all designed by John Nash followed. Have I already told you that the weather has been sunny since my arrival? Just passed the Sherlock Holmes museum and Madame Toussauds. I'm glad I don't have to do the typical tourist program and that I have so much time ahead. Soon time will fly, I'm sure though.

The day ends with us three sitting on the sofa, each of us having our laptops on our knees - working, facebooking and blogging, at the same time talking about all the world and his wife and watching Sex and the City. A sabbatical is a wonderful thing. You can do lots of things you wouldn't dream of doing at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment