Saturday, April 10, 2010

Everything channelised


Equipped with a London map, a Rough Guide to London and the book London Walks. 30 Walks by London Writers, I strolled along Regent's Canal today. According to my guide book, architect John Nash originally had intended to have the canal running through the middle of Regent's park but was then persuaded that the bad language of the Navvies would offend the refined residents of the area so altered his plans. I hope to understand at least every other sentence of the real Londoners. On my way and during my lunch break eating a box full of sea food paella on Primrose Hill I tried hard to make myself accustomed to the London accent of the young people around me. Doing so, I nearly forgot to appreciate the view over London's breathtaking skyline.

Another good news is that I'm supplied with all the British goodies I favour, that is, e.g. cereal and Weetabix, English cheese like Leicester, houmous, couscous and watercress, salt and vinegar flavoured crisps and pear cider. The cider is already gone by now as I'm zapping through British television. Our flat is equipped with Sky and Justine told me I would like it. And I must confess I do - even if watching telly on Saturday nights normally is such a depressing thing to do.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bettina,
    ist ja schon klasse so ein Blog - man erfährt "immer", was Du so treibst. Freut mich, wenn es Dir gut geht. Wenn Du uns vermißt, dann machen wir Erlanger einfach auch einen Blog auf und Du erfährst, was sich in der Zwischenzeit hier alles ändert... ;-)

    bis bald

    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Das Schöne ist, dass mich Dein Foto daran erinnert, dass ich im Sommer ja auch mit dem Hausboot unterwegs sein werde. Zwar in Holland, aber immerhin! Frappierend ist Dein extrem gutes Englisch. Kompliment! Seit meinem LK (1981 - 83) ist es, sagen wir mal, recht verkümmert. Kleiner Tipp am Rande: Wenn Du einen Link einbauen willst, mit dem man beispielsweise schwuppdiwupp ganz direkt zu diesem wunderbaren Online-Shop kommt, dann kannst Du einfach diese wunderbare "Link"-Funktion im Blogger nutzen. Aber ich habe es auch so hinbekommen - und, Ehrenwort! - noch nichts bestellt. Viel Spaß in London und lieben Gruß, Otti
    P.S.: Wir sehen uns Neulich im Netz! http://ottensmann.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete