Wednesday, April 21, 2010

First times



Yesterday was a day of plenty "firsts" in my life. I walked through Mayfair, a very luxurious area of London with lots of upmarket shops, offices, embassies and hotels for the aristrocats and other riches.

And here are my "firsts": Browsing through a broad spectrum of edible (?) insects like a Toffee Scorpion (4,75 Pounds), Thai Green Curry Crickets (3,00) or even Oven-baked Tarantula (14,95) at Fortnum & Mason. Getting very close to some of the finest Impressionistic and Modern Art paintings that were incredibly well presented at Sotherby's. And visiting my first Burlesque show in the evening.

Fortnum & Mason is THE food emporium in London, established in 1770. I've never seen the staff of a shop dressed up that gorgeously. When one of the shop assistants approached me I thought he just came from a posh reception. He saw me looking at the tarantulas and told me that these insects are perfect to be given as a present to your biggest enemy. He himself has already tried the chocolate-covered ants and liked them. And he told me that a man who recently bought a tarantula immediately returned to the show to buy seven more of them after he had had a bite before even having left the shop.


Unfortunately, the tarantulas on sale expire in May 2010. Hope they can sell them soon or otherwise have to eat them all themselves. I prefered an individually bespoken and freshly made sandwich from the take-away stand of Fortnum & Masons. Just see how nicely it was wrapped up! And it tasted even better.

My guide book says that you can easily walk into Sotheby's. I guess, otherwise I wouldn't have done it. But the staff was so nice (even said "Tschüß" when I left) and didn't care about how I looked (a waterbottle hanging at my side and carrying a paper bag with goodies from Patisserie Valerie) and the pictures were gorgeous and extremly well illuminated. I especially liked Der rote Geiger by Feininger (estimated 7 million US-Dollars). You can't imagine those colours. The highest ranked picture was the picture of a flower vase by Henri Matisse, estimated of up to 25 million Dollars. Will be in an auction on 5th and 6th of May in New York. And will then disappear again in another private villa or safe.

The day ended with another "first," my first Burlesque show I've ever attended. It was the opening of London Burlesque Week 2010. Very entertaining and witty. You wouldn't think so as striptease is the chief attraction in these shows. Lots of women, or I should better say ladies, in the audience. On the stage were actresses from the UK, the USA and even Australia. There was an actor too. He started off as a magician and ended up naked with a sign covering the most interesting parts saying CENSORED...

No comments:

Post a Comment